COTS Bots: Skunk Works Robotics
Course Description: Designing, building and programming of robots using Commercial Off-The Shelf (COTS) design principles. Material will include an introduction to microcontrollers and sensors, mobile device programming, and intelligence behaviors: search, basic image processing, selected topics in machine learning.
Total Credits: 3
Prereq: Senior or Graduate Standing
Textbook: None. Research papers selected from the professional literature will be used.
Major Topics Covered
- COTS principles and COTSBot design
- Microcontrollers and Arduino programming
- Sensors, analog and digital calibration
- Eclipse and Android programming/Objective-C and iPhone programming
- Image processing
- Path finding
- Obstacle avoidance
- Object recognition
- Simultaneous location and mapping (SLAM)